Sunday, August 19, 2018
OUR CHURCH FAMILY
The elders have asked Dwight Gingerich and Susan Gingerich to serve on the Pastor Congregation Relations Team. Their task is to care for the relationship between the pastors and congregation. They meet with the pastors several times a year, provide support and feedback as needed, and welcome your comments, concerns, and questions at any time.
Hey kids! TODAY is the August 19 Sunday School Open House (2-yr olds to 5th graders) at 10:45 AM. Come downstairs and meet your new teachers, visit your classroom, and have some treats! All Christian Education classes will resume August 26.
TODAY in the fellowship hall at 11 AM – Join Liza Brenneman, who will spend the next year serving with PULSE (Pittsburgh Urban Leadership Service Experience), and her family who are serving up BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, coleslaw, chips, watermelon, cookies and world-famous Yutzy ice cream for a fund-raising lunch!
Gift's discernment committee would like to thank all of you who have considered serving in our church positions. We are still needing to fill one more position which impacts our youngsters - children's education co-coordinator. The job description is below. We have one person who would be willing to share this position but need a second person. If you would have interest or know of someone we should check with, please let Lance Miller know.
Children's Education Coordinator:
1. Attends Christian Education Commission meetings
2. Recruits, mentors, and encourages Sunday School teachers, substitute teachers, and music leader for ages 2 through 5th grade.
3. Provides class lists with children’s birthdays, parent phone numbers, and email addresses to teachers, church secretary, and parents.
4. Plans class groups and assigns meeting spaces.
5. Coordinates overall vision for children’s educational program with the help of the CEC, pastor, and parent input.
6. Works with the Worship Commission on integrating children into worship services, and facilitates Christmas program in December.
7. Maintains the Children’s Sunday School supply closet
8. Assists teachers as needed with materials, discipline and substitutes
9. Contacts Safe Church Coordinator with list of teachers.
10. Collects Sunday School offering and chooses projects.
11. Contact HomeTies to let them know when Sunday School is ending in May and starting in August and which rooms will be used by classes.
The doctors have given Jose and Raquel August 29 as a surgery date. Remember Jose and Raquel in your prayers for successful surgery and that Raquel can return to her ministry at Iglesia Zoar.
All are invited to attend a Visuals in Worship seminar at First Mennonite beginning during the Christian Ed hour on September 23. The seminar, led by Martha Yoder, is designed for anyone who wants to learn more about designing/creating visuals for our worship space. Come hear Martha discuss examples of her work and explore resources to get your creative juices flowing. Lunch will be provided. Please let Isaac Hooley know if you would like to attend.
The Myrtle Ave./Riverside Drive intersection will be closed from Aug. 13 through Oct. 20 (weather permitting). Keep that in mind as you drive to church.
Pastors Terry and Karen are on vacation through August 20. Please contact one of the Elders if you have a pastoral concern.
CONFERENCE AND COMMUNITY NEWS
From Central Plains Mennonite Conference (CPMC):
From the Crowded Closet:
From Iowa Mennonite School (IMS):
Area high school events:
IC West High Cross Country meet 8/23 - 4:30 PM UI Ashton CC Course (Claire Widmer)
Birthdays (August 19-25)
Sunday Norma Jean Brenneman
Monday Deb Loss
Tuesday Matthew Bricker
Wednesday Paul Andersen
Friday Miguel Portillo
Events for the coming week
Sunday 9:30 AM Worship, Nathan Peterson, Proclaimer
10:45 AM Children's Chr. Ed. Open House
11 AM Fundraising lunch provided by Liza Brenneman & family
5 PM Torre Fuerte worship
Wednesday 3:15 PM Mission Comm.
7 PM Ad. Cabinet
Thursday 7 PM Torre Fuerte worship
Sunday 9:30 AM Worship, Terry Zimmerly, proclaimer
10:45 AM Christian Ed classes resume
5 PM Torre Fuerte worship