Trustee Meeting Minutes
July 18, 2018 - 6:30 PM
Present: Ken Gingerich, Phil Miller, Terry Zimmerly, Lynn Gingerich
Absent: Nathan Detweiler, Brenda Litwiller, John Yutzy
- Trustees met for regularly scheduled meeting. The fire department had done an inspection. Two of the exit lights were not working. They have been repaired and are functioning. One of the fire extinguishers was not mounted properly and needed to be updated. That has been taken care of. They also noted too many items in the stairwell behind the pulpit as well as the boiler/furnace room in the basement. Several members worked on moving items to remove the clutter.
- Shrubs and bushes are being pruned around the church. That task continues.
June 18, 2018 - 6:30 PM
Present: Lynn Gingerich, Brenda Litwiller, John Yutzy, Terry Zimmerly, Reg Yoder
- Need for a sidewalk from the street to the parking lot, due to the constant traffic across the lawn from the daily parkers
- Evaluating overgrown shrubbery and landscaping around the church building
- Created SOP for lawn and grounds maintenance and expectations
- Determined location for donated lilac bushes
- Lynn took care of orange book issues: including toilet seat in women't restroom, replacing light bulbs, a new roller shade for a downstairs classroom
- Steve Litwiller will clean up the south edge of the parking lot with his equipment on Saturday, June 23, weather permitting
- Discussion of replacing the aging lawn mower and how to manage both mowing and snow removal in the future
- Terry shared his desire to create an inviting and welcoming street appeal
submitted by Brenda Litwiller
May 16, 2018
Present: Nathan Detweiler, Lynn Gingerich, Ken Gingerich, John Yutzy, Phil Miller
Absent: Brenda Litwiller, Terry Zimmerly
Trustees met for monthly meeting at 6:30 p.m.
- Door to hallway on lower level daycare repaired.
- Discussed placement of lilac bushes that have been donated to the church.
- Discussed proposed Trustee spending plan for next fiscal year.
- Discussed adding entryway to lower level. I will get an idea of what it might cost.
- Measured drapery in sleeping room of daycare. The old ones are worn out. They have subsequently been replaced.
- Thermostats programmed throughout the church for summer cooling.
Submitted by Lynn Gingerich, Chair
March 28, 2018
Present: Nathan Detweiler, Ken Gingerich, Brenda Litwiller, Phil Miller, John Yutzy, Terry Zimmerly, Lynn Gingerich
Trustees met for monthly meeting. Discussed request for removal of several trees in parking lot. Trees are crabapples and they shed apples in late winter as well as attract birds to area which soils cars parked below. Removal has been scheduled as well as replacement with other trees such as thornless locust.
Labeling of breakers in breaker box in upper hallway of education wing is inaccurate. Labels do not correlate with existing circuits. Circuits identified and relabeled.
Walls in Sip & Chat area need to be repainted. Repainting is scheduled for April 4 for those who can help.
Bike rack for lower level parking area discussed and a design was decided upon.
Next month’s meeting will be a working meeting for tree removal and preparation and painting of Sip & Chat area.
January 17, 2018
Present: Nathan Detweiler, Lynn Gingerich, Ken Gingerich, John Yutzy,
Absent: Brenda Litwiller, Phil Miller
Trustees spent the meeting time with deep cleaning the upstairs restrooms and with cleaning out and arranging closets and storage areas on the lower level.
Trustee Meeting Minutes
December 20, 2017 6:30 PM
Present: Nathan Detweiler, Lynn Gingerich, Brenda Litwiller, Phil Miller, John Yutzy,
Absent: Ken Gingerich
Guests: Arnold Christy, Terry Zimmerly
Trustees met for their regularly scheduled meeting. No meeting occurred in November due to large number of absences.
Nathan presented a Google Spreadsheet document on which trustees will record items which have been completed. It is accessible to all trustees and we are encouraged to record items as they are done.
Thermostats were inspected and adjusted throughout the building.
120 LED lighting tubes were installed throughout the building. The Education Wing lighting was not substituted as current fixtures do not function with LEDs. More tubes are being ordered and will be installed when they can be secured from the manufacturer.
The recycling cabinet near the lower entrance has been repaired.
Next regularly scheduled meeting: January 17: 2018
Trustees Meeting Minutes
September 20, 2017 6:30 p.m.
Present: Nathan Detweiler, Ken Gingerich, Phil Miller, John Yutzy, Lynn Gingerich Absent: Brenda Litwiller
Trustees met for regularly scheduled meeting in Bruderschaft classroom. A list of items to do were discussed as follows:
- Caulking along concrete pad just east of the daycare needs to be renewed. Workday scheduled for September 29, 2017. Caulk has been purchased.
- Utility company asked us to be aware of location of main water turnoff in case of emergency. Main water turnoff located.
- Four window controls in daycare area are damaged and unusable. New controls have been purchased and will be installed at a time when children are not in daycare—evening or Saturday.
- Light switches in daycare children’s toilets are not working properly. New switches are being purchased. Arnold Christy has offered to install them at a time when daycare is not being used.
- Towel rack requested by fellowship committee in the room where coffee is made for Sip-and-Chat. Towel rack has been installed.
- Worship commission is requesting a light which can be used on the podium when sanctuary lights are turned off such as when something is being shown on the screen. We are still looking for a solution to the problem.
- A hole from erosion has reappeared in the lower yard area where cars are parked for football parking. Because this is a recurring problem, Ken Gingerich has offered to bring in some equipment to dig down, diagnose the problem and fix it.
- The roof on the lower entrance is showing significant wear. It will need to be replaced in the not-too-distant future.
- A significant number of trees are showing signs of aging and deteriorations and will need to be removed in order to keep them from falling during a wind storm. We have requested and are waiting for a bid and estimate for tree removal.
- Bike rack: several church members are finding that there is insignificant area to park their bikes at the church. Our new pastors frequently ride their bikes to church and would like to continue. We have arranged for the bike rack from near the daycare can be brought up to the upper parking lot. A new concrete pad will be poured and a new bike rack will be constructed below which will allow more bikes to be parked at one time.
- Bushes have been pruned near upper church entrance. More pruning to follow.
- Upper entrance paint is looking shoddy. We will arrange for its repainting when we are able.
- There is soil erosion several places on the hilly parts of the church lot. After football parking is finished for this season, additional topsoil will need to be added and new grass seed applied. We can purchase topsoil from Rittenmeyer’s.
- One of the office chairs is showing significant wear in pastor’s office. After Karen and Terry have decided which office they will be occupying a chair will be selected to replace the deteriorated one. We will also need to replace two of the other chairs in the corner office.
Smoke detectors have been inspected. No remedial action required.
Next meeting: November 15, 2017.
Lynn Gingerich, chair
Trustee Meeting Minutes – August 2, 2017
Trustees present – Brenda Litwiller, Lynn Gingerich, Ken Gingerich, Tim Schumacher, Nathan Detweiler
Absent – Mike Cook
Agenda – Bring fire code violations up-to-date to pass previous failed inspection.
Improvements included –
- Patching, covering or repairing the many holes in the ceiling and walls of the sprinkler/boiler room. Necessary to contain fire and smoke and prevent such events from traveling through to other areas of the church.
- Replacing old batteries in four emergency exit lights.
- Replacing broken emergency light in the Narthex.
- Replaced temporary “Sprinkler Room” sign with permanent sign.
- Made sure that Home Ties removed all combustible materials from the stairway in their hallway.
- Got forgotten fire extinguisher in elevator room inspected and properly tagged.
- Cleaned out and disposed of unneeded materials from the sprinkler room.
The lower foyer doors were examined and need several replacement parts.
The sidewalk to the church from the upper handicapped parking lot was evaluated. It was suggested that Marty Roth be contacted to see what the cost would be to replace the concrete and railing for better safety.
Paint was purchased for the Education wing hallway and offices and classrooms. Brenda and Lynn plan to begin painting on August 5th.
Next meeting – September TBD
Brenda Litwiller, Chair
Trustee Meeting Minutes – Wednesday, July 5, 2017
Trustees present – Brenda Litwiller, Lynn Gingerich, Mike Cook, Tim Schumacher
Absent – Ken Gingerich, Nathan Detweiller
Trustees did not meet in June. However, some exterior projects were completed. Lynn Gingerich installed a fencing section on the east side of the church to prohibit people from walking through the shrubs and bushes in this area as a shortcut to the parking lot. The Trustees felt this could become a safety issue if it continued. Some materials were supplied by Ken Gingerich and extra materials were purchased to complete the task.
Weed control on the median of the parking lot, and weed management and lawn improvement were donated by church members… roughly $450 which would fall under maintenance.
Other donations by church members include a new step ladder ($85), and furnace and air handler filters for the many air handlers in the church ($200+/yr). These donations would otherwise be part of building maintenance.
Items addressed at July meeting:
- Discussed recent unexpected expenses –
- Service call for freezer and refrigerator issues in the pie room - $127
- Service call for Simplex fire alarm - $802…disputed the charge. Received a $100 deduction.
- Service call for rooftop AC condenser - $153
- New AC unit for daycare area – existing unit failure…$4,483.00 with $500 rebate - $3,983.00 + tax
- Two window crank assemblies are needed in the toddler room. Mike Cook will look into this.
- Need two 3-way switches for the toddler room restroom light. Wired incorrectly.
- Checked all door knobs/handles for proper tightness.
- Checked stairway hand rails for tightness/security. Tim Schumacher will make repairs to stairway from the Narthex.
- Replaced battery in the lower foyer clock.
- Will replace the two Columbarium lights with LED bulbs. Too much heat build-up is melting the plastic housing of the lights. Brenda Litwiller will get the bulbs.
- Brenda will obtain replacement screws for some loose cabinet handles in the SS rooms.
- Brenda will check Welter Equipment and Storage in Cedar Rapids for Fellowship Hall chairs…to be donated in part by Torre Forte.
- Will contact Dan Bontrager for a firm price for tree removal from the lower grass area.
- Will check with Ken Gingerich about the hole and repair needed in the lower area.
- Lynn Gingerich continues to work on landscape management around the lower entrance area.
- Discussed a request for new sidewalk and railing from the upper lot to the church door, but tabled this until budget decisions for next year are made.
- Discussed request for two more “Comfort Height” toilets for the Fellowship restroom. Tabled for same reason.
Brenda Litwiller, Chair
Wednesday, May 3, 2017
Present – Brenda Litwiller, Lynn Gingerich, Ken Gingerich, Tim Schumacher, Nathan Detweiler
No meeting was held in April. However, on April 14, in preparation for the new storage building, Ken and Brenda cleaned out the old shed after Reg and Ryan Yoder removed the lawn mower and other equipment.
On April 16, Ken and Mark Gingerich removed the extra stones and moved out the old shed.
Marty Roth’s crew came the same day and prepared the site for the new building.
The new storage shed was delivered to FMC on April 21.
On May 3, the Trustees met to install shelving in the new building, then replaced items and materials that were removed from the old shed. Further organization options will be added as necessary to maximize the space available. Various church personnel will be contacted about their storage needs and key access. It was decided that individuals may “sign out” keys through the office.
Upcoming projects include:
- As time allows, Brenda will continue installing the stone landscape edging around Home Ties to make use of the leftover church stone.
- Painting the foyer and Sunday School classroom hallway; dead/dying tree removal from the RR track area; and removing scrub bushes from the lower yard when Steve Litwiller and machinery are available.
- The inside handicap door button on the upper women’s restroom doesn’t work…Brenda will look into how to get that repaired.
- Arnold is replacing burned out lights with energy efficient LED lights as necessary.
- Lynn has been working on the loose stair treads and risers in the back stairwell to Home Ties.
- Items in the orange book are dealt with (hopefully) as necessary.
Brenda Litwiller, Chair
Thursday, March 2, 2017 6:00 p.m.
Present – Brenda Litwiller, Nathan Detweiler, Ken Gingerich, Lynn Gingerich, Mike Cook, Tim Schumacher
Marty Roth of FMC and Freeman Beachy, of Premier Portable Buildings of Kalona, met with the Trustees outside to determine the best location for the new storage shed, which was approved by Ad Cab. The 12x16 foot building will be a capital improvement.
Marty’s recommendation is to remove the existing shed, pour a concrete slab and place the new shed in approximately the same location, due to water drainage issues elsewhere in the parking lot. Marty will contact a crew to do the concrete work and have them submit a bid to the Trustees.
Stones behind the existing shed will be used as landscape edging around Home Ties and other areas.
It was determined that the hole in the lower grass area is where drainage tiles converge. Ken agreed to work on this…dig down and cap the holes in the tiles and fill with dirt.
When Steve Litwiller is available with machinery, scrub bushes and shrubs below will be removed.
Inside the church –
- New LED light fixtures were purchased for the overflow and cry rooms. Arnold Christy will install them at his convenience. Light fixtures throughout the church will gradually be upgraded to LED fixtures for energy efficiency.
- Lynn checked all toilets to make sure all are working properly.
- Marty noted when the weather warms, new concrete caulking needs to be applied along the east side of the church.
- Lynn will finish the counter support in the office.
- Broken window in the downstairs toddler room will wait for warmer weather and then be replaced.
- Ken mentioned having the black chairs in the Sinape classroom recovered. He spoke with someone who would do this for a reasonable cost. On that note, Brenda spoke with Gloria Villatoro…Torre Forte would like to gift 50 new chairs to FMC in gratitude for church use. She asked Brenda to look into new chair costs vs. recovering seats of the old chairs.
- Marty will find replacement door handles for Fellowship men’s restroom door.
- Scheduled church Work Day, weather permitting, for March 18, 9:00-1:00 with lunch provided by the Trustees. Work would include landscape clean-up, possible window washing, moving stones from behind shed, parking lot sand sweep up and Home Ties fence clean up.
- Notice to be put in bulletins for 2 weeks prior.
Brenda Litwiller, Chair
Thursday, February 9, 2017
Present – Brenda Litwiller, Steve Litwiller, Lynn Gingerich, Nathan Detweiler, Tim Schumacher
Trustees did a walk-around and located all thermostats in order to compile a numbered list for the Office, the Custodian and the Trustees.
Brenda purchased “L” bracket supports for a counter repair in the office. Also purchased were command strips for hanging name/room plates and adhesive to reattach loose vinyl stair treads and risers.
Noted that Home Ties needs to clean and reorganize area around and under the electrical service in their storage closet. Brenda will contact.
Lynn agreed to work on the stair treads at his convenience.
Lynn and Tim will adjust thermostats for special occasions.
Discussed talking with Marty Roth for his input on several issues including parking lot water issue and the hole down below in the grass area.
Received approval from Ad Cab to purchase new storage shed.
Next meeting – March 2
Brenda Litwiller, chair